Yesterday was the 57th anniversary of the arrest of Rosa Parks. 57 years ago Rosa refused to move from her seat to the back of the bus.
It was only 57 years ago that it was legal to tell someone just because of their skin color they had to give up their seat. Discrimination like this was widely accepted, it took one brave person to stand up and fight it.
Yesterday President Obama visited the bus Rosa Parks was arrested in. It’s a powerful photo.
Don’t forget the recent past.
It is with great privilege that I can finally announce a ridiculous art show that I collaborated on with talented painter Bruce White called “Velvetmania.” It truly is spectacular.
Through some magical skill of persuasion that I still don’t understand, I was able to convince Bruce to create a show idea I had - to paint over 35 BLACK VELVET portraits of my favorite old school wrestlers from the 80’s and 90’s, and now the world can see them all in person. Working with Bruce to carefully choose the subjects may have been one of the most exciting experiences I’ve yet to achieve artistically. Imagine my expression when I got to ask him, “Can you Google Giant Gonzalez?” It opens THIS FRIDAY NIGHT, at G1988 (West), from 7-10 PM, and the artist will be in attendance. Each piece is more stunning than the next, capturing the era and personality of each larger than life wrestler perfectly. You won’t know whether to laugh or compare it to the Mona Lisa. From the world renown to the obscure, Bruce & I made sure to depict every legend of the squared circle.
I would love to see you this Friday night at 7308 Melrose Ave in Los Angeles, as even after 10 years of owning a gallery, this may just be the show most connected to my terrible mind - and all produced by the genius Bruce White, widely regarded as the world’s premiere black velvet painter.
SEE YOU THERE. DON’T BE DUMB AND MISS THIS.
March 8 & 14 will bookend a strong 7 Days in Austin, TX. A slew of awesome Tumblr bands are coming to party with us at SXSW. Everyone in Austin is invited and we hope you can join in on the Fun(k).
Plus, we have panels!
Monday, March 10 at 12:30PM: Entertainment Marketing in the Age of the SuperFan with Director of Canvas, David
The beautiful United States of America.
OOOOH THE PRETTY
I can count on one hand the places I could go and not feel like I have to look over my shoulder every five minutes.
The Mother Languages of Mexico
February 21 is International Mother Language Day as declared by UNESCO in 1999. This special date is meant to promote awareness of multilingualism, as well as cultural and linguistic diversity.
Mother Language Day is also an important time to celebrate the richness of Mexico’s traditional Indigenous culture and knowledge.
Here Are Some Important Facts About Mexico’s Mother Languages:
- There are 68 mother (Indigenous) languages, including 364 regional varieties (dialects), spoken in Mexico.
- According to a 2010 census report, there are 6,913,362 speakers of a mother language in Mexico.
- 6.6% of Mexico’s total population speaks a mother language.
- Oaxaca is Mexico’s most linguistically diverse state with 15 distinct Indigenous languages, including 179 dialects of these languages. 31% of the state’s population speaks a mother language, the highest rate of any state in the nation.
- Nahuatl is the most spoken mother language of Mexico with 1,544,968 native speakers.
- Maya (796,113), Mixteco (471,710), Zapoteco (425,123), Otomi (284,992), Totonaco (244,033), Mazateco (223,073) all have more than 200,00 native speakers.
- Huasteco (161,121), Chinanteco (131,382), Mazahua (135,897), Mixe (132,759), Purépecha (124,494), Tlapaneco (120,072) all have more than 100,00 native speakers.
- Despite much being made about languages dying out in Mexico, the total numbers of speakers of a mother language is increasing.
- Indigenous speakers have been emigrating in larger numbers to the United States. In California alone, there are 23 Indigenous languages spoken by people from 13 Mexican states, as registered by INALI.
See links at original post: http://thinkmexican.tumblr.com/post/43706782696/
#mexico #motherlanguages #motherlanguageday #unesco #indigenous #nahuatl #maya #mixteco #zapoteco #otomi #totonaco #mazateco #huasteco #chinanteco #mazahua #mixe #purepepecha #tlapaneco #mextagram #facts #thinkmexican (at Mexico)
This is what’s going on in the Ukraine right now
world needs 2 know.. venezuela too.. stand strong.
|—||Arnold Schwarzenegger (via onlinecounsellingcollege)|