March 8 & 14 will bookend a strong 7 Days in Austin, TX. A slew of awesome Tumblr bands are coming to party with us at SXSW. Everyone in Austin is invited and we hope you can join in on the Fun(k).
Plus, we have panels!
Monday, March 10 at 12:30PM: Entertainment Marketing in the Age of the SuperFan with Director of Canvas, David
The beautiful United States of America.
OOOOH THE PRETTY
I can count on one hand the places I could go and not feel like I have to look over my shoulder every five minutes.
The Mother Languages of Mexico
February 21 is International Mother Language Day as declared by UNESCO in 1999. This special date is meant to promote awareness of multilingualism, as well as cultural and linguistic diversity.
Mother Language Day is also an important time to celebrate the richness of Mexico’s traditional Indigenous culture and knowledge.
Here Are Some Important Facts About Mexico’s Mother Languages:
- There are 68 mother (Indigenous) languages, including 364 regional varieties (dialects), spoken in Mexico.
- According to a 2010 census report, there are 6,913,362 speakers of a mother language in Mexico.
- 6.6% of Mexico’s total population speaks a mother language.
- Oaxaca is Mexico’s most linguistically diverse state with 15 distinct Indigenous languages, including 179 dialects of these languages. 31% of the state’s population speaks a mother language, the highest rate of any state in the nation.
- Nahuatl is the most spoken mother language of Mexico with 1,544,968 native speakers.
- Maya (796,113), Mixteco (471,710), Zapoteco (425,123), Otomi (284,992), Totonaco (244,033), Mazateco (223,073) all have more than 200,00 native speakers.
- Huasteco (161,121), Chinanteco (131,382), Mazahua (135,897), Mixe (132,759), Purépecha (124,494), Tlapaneco (120,072) all have more than 100,00 native speakers.
- Despite much being made about languages dying out in Mexico, the total numbers of speakers of a mother language is increasing.
- Indigenous speakers have been emigrating in larger numbers to the United States. In California alone, there are 23 Indigenous languages spoken by people from 13 Mexican states, as registered by INALI.
See links at original post: http://thinkmexican.tumblr.com/post/43706782696/
#mexico #motherlanguages #motherlanguageday #unesco #indigenous #nahuatl #maya #mixteco #zapoteco #otomi #totonaco #mazateco #huasteco #chinanteco #mazahua #mixe #purepepecha #tlapaneco #mextagram #facts #thinkmexican (at Mexico)
This is what’s going on in the Ukraine right now
world needs 2 know.. venezuela too.. stand strong.
|—||Arnold Schwarzenegger (via onlinecounsellingcollege)|
this looks like a cover of a murder mystery book
By Best selling author Richard Castle A.K.A ‘Kitten’
i tried so hard to scroll past this! damn.
Out on the Town 2014
A lion and a miniature sausage dog have formed an unlikely friendship after the little dog took the king of the jungle under his wing as a cub.
Bonedigger, a five-year old male lion, and Milo, a seven-year old Dachshund, are so close that Milo helps the lion clean his teeth after dinner.
The 500lbs lion dwarfs little Milo, yet after the dog took the disabled lion into his protection as a cub, Bonedigger has rarely left his side.